To run the country's payment system smoothly department is conducting the following activities:
- Formulation of National Payment Systems Strategy,
- Operation of Bangladesh Automated Clearing House (BACH) with its two wings - Bangladesh Automated Cheque Processing System (BACPS) and Bangladesh Electronic Funds Transfer Network (BEFTN),
- Implementation and development of National Payment Switch Bangladesh (NPSB) to facilitate inter-bank electronic payments.
- Adoption of initiatives to facilitate e-Payment Gateway.
- Enrichment of Mobile Financial Services with proper framework,
- Encouraging e-Commerce and m-Commerce.
- Formulation of required policy, guideline, legal & regulatory framework for modern payment and settlement systems.
- Formulation of Payment Systems Oversight to monitor and supervise country’s payment system.
- Establishment and operation of Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) System with proper guidelines.